Senior School Academic
Secondary 1 and 2
These years sees pupils study a broad range of subjects which includes English, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, Spanish, Geography, History, Religious Moral and Philosophical Studies, Personal and Social Development, Tutorial, ICT, Art, Music, Drama, PE/Sport, Enterprise, Outdoor Education, Civilianship and Service. This aims to give pupils a chance to learn more about a wide range of subjects, allowing them to make informed choices about which subjects they wish to continue with throughout the rest of senior school.
Starting at 8:30am, lessons are taught predominately in the Castle with specialist rooms for Music, the Sciences and Art located out with. No class has more than 16 students in it whilst some work on a one-to-one basis with tutors in examination year groups. At present, 17 subject options are offered with students selecting eight from:
- English & Maths (both compulsory)
- Chemistry, Physics & Biology (one science compulsory)
- Spanish & French (one language compulsory)
- Managing Environmental Resource
- Classical Studies
- Business Studies
- Information Systems
Pupils will sit their SQA exams in May during S4 and then at Higher and Advanced Higher Levels in S5 and S6 respectively.
Although the levels of taught Games decreases in S5 & S6 there is still space in the curriculum for various enrichment courses such as in Civilianship as well as Service, Enterprise, Outdoor Education and Choir being incorporated into the timetable from S3 onwards. Senior pupils also contribute a proportion of their time and energy to volunteering in the local community.
- Outdoor Education embedded within the curriculum S1-3
- Service embedded within the curriculum S2-5
- Civilianship & focus on health and well being
- Active learning in Academic trips throughout, e.g., MER, Music, Classical Studies
- Role of Games/PE in curriculum (S2-4 x4 per week)
- After School activity programme, e.g., archery& warhammer
- Cross-curricular activities, e.g., “Forensic Rookies” & Eco-Days
- Introduction of MER to reinforce environmental focus of school